The State of the Nation report 2019
6 January 2020
State of the Nation 2019 describes careers provision in England’s secondary schools and colleges at the end of the academic year 2018/19.
The report draws on data that has been collected through the Compass self-assessment tool from 3,826 state-funded schools and colleges, representing three quarters of such institutions across England.
The number of schools and colleges completing Compass has continued to increase during 2018/19 providing us with a detailed insight into careers work in England’s schools and colleges and the ability to look at developments over time. The Compass tool assesses schools’ and colleges’ careers programmes in relation to the eight Gatsby Benchmarks for Good Career Guidance.
The eight Gatsby Benchmarks for Good Career Guidance:
- A stable careers programme
- Learning from career and labour market information
- Addressing the needs of each pupil
- Linking curriculum learning to careers
- Encounters with employers and employees
- Experiences of workplaces
- Encounters with further and higher education
- Personal guidance